Sunday Sermon Notes October 16th, 2011
Bishop Lester Woods
Sunday Bishop Woods continued in the teaching of Faith. The focus was on the second essential instruction of walking by faith and talking by faith as you grow in your relationship with Christ. Some of Bishop’s first words were “You have an Assignment”, and as the Word was being brought forth it is becoming ever more clear that in order to walk in the full measure of life that God’s has for you including fulfilling our assignments on earth, you have to walk by faith and talk by faith including obeying God and His Word even when you don’t understand it.
WALK this way, TALK this way. Part 4
“If you want a different result, you have to do something different.”
Jesus Heals a Deaf and Mute Man
31 Then Jesus left the vicinity of Tyre and went through Sidon, down to the Sea of Galilee and into the region of the Decapolis.[a] 32 There some people brought to him a man who was deaf and could hardly talk, and they begged Jesus to place his hand on him.
33 After he took him aside, away from the crowd, Jesus put his fingers into the man’s ears. Then he spit and touched the man’s tongue. 34 He looked up to heaven and with a deep sigh said to him, “Ephphatha!” (which means “Be opened!”). 35 At this, the man’s ears were opened, his tongue was loosened and he began to speak plainly.
36 Jesus commanded them not to tell anyone. But the more he did so, the more they kept talking about it. 37 People were overwhelmed with amazement. “He has done everything well,” they said. “He even makes the deaf hear and the mute speak.”
What is Faith?
Faith is confident obedience to God’s Word.
- If I don’t have God’s Word…then I don’t have faith.
- Hebrews 11:1
Faith in Action
1 Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.
- Hebrews 11:6
- 6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
1. Faith is believing when I don’t see it.
2. Faith is obeying even when I don’t understand it.
- “There are levels of faith God takes you through.” – Bishop
- Think outside the box.
- Stop playing it safe.
- You got to get radical.
- Philippians 4:13
13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
- “God will put you in a situation to see what you have learn.” – Bishop
- God’s going to test you according to where you have been.
- How about do something different if you keep failing the tests.
Several Elements of Motivation
- Verse 31
- Situation of Frustration
i. Communication Problem
- He couldn’t hear or talk.
- God is in it to deal with relationships.
ii. Pivotal point of doing something different.
- Verse 32-33
- Revelation of Cooperation
i. First thing God will do is set you apart from everyone else, from non-believers.
- To block what people say. To Block nay-sayers.
ii. We fight Jesus everyday because he’s trying to get us to do something everyday.” – Bishop
- Verse 35-37
- Meditation for manifestation.
i. God wants you to be open to what He’s about to do for you and through you.
- Illustration of Demonstration
i. God will do it away from the multitude but in a place where people can see it.
Been missing church?? – Visit previous Sunday Sermon Recaps posted on Urban Empowerment College Connect Blogs for “Walk this Way, Talk this Way.” and Bible Study Series “Motivation for Participation”.
Urban Empowerment Sunday Services are held on Sunday’s at10:30 am and 1:30 pm. Need a ride? – UE transportation team runs a campus route every Sunday. Like “Urban Empowerment College Connect” facebook page for schedule.